Four Tips For Choosing Your Wedding Flowers
Your wedding flowers will communicate color and emotion throughout your wedding day and bring your wedding aesthetic to life! I’ve had the honor of photographing some truly magical wedding day floral design. Here are some of my best tips for choosing your wedding flowers.
Things to Consider
- The Venue. Your venue will determine many factors when it comes to your floral design. The florals you choose for your venue will influence the entire look and feel of your wedding day. The style of the floral is just another aspect of your day and should complement the flow and style of the venue. For example, an old historic mansion might look better with a more traditional floral design. Think about timeless color palettes and traditional floral styles that embrace a romantic feeling. On the other hand, an outdoor garden-style venue might call for a more easy-breezy, just picked from the garden feeling. These flowers usually have a more organic, asymmetrical, and looser style of arranging. I’m a TOTAL fan-girl for this style!
- The Color Palette. Color is powerful and certain colors bring about certain emotional responses. For instance, a soft neutral palette leaves us feeling joyful and light. Keep in mind that flowers come in a variety of shades. Do you know how many shades of pink occur in nature? The possibilities are endless. Keep in mind, your florals will be woven throughout the design and play a huge role in the cohesive color story of your wedding. Some common places to consider placing flowers are at the ceremony site, reception tables, staircases, bridal bouquets, and boutonnieres, along with the styling of the bride’s details.
- Set A Budget. The expense for floral design can vary greatly. Factors that are calculated in the cost are typically the scale of the project, designer experience, the types of the florals chosen, the seasonality of their availability, and so on. It’s always the best practice to be upfront with the floral designer about your budget. This allows them to be realistic with you about what can be done. Some tips for maximizing your budget include quality over quantity. For example, the bride’s bouquet is the most photographed arrangement of the day. I always recommend splurging here. Opting for fewer blooms and more greenery in key elements will also help to stretch the budget.
- Choose a Designer. Do some research here. Local hashtag searches for florists in your area via Instagram are a great way to find inspiration and a local designer. Schedule a meeting and discuss your vision, event needs, and budget. Ask him/her what types of services do they provide. Do they create mock-ups for you to look over beforehand? Do they provide the vessels for the arrangements? And, ask to see examples of past clients work. It’s also important that you feel a connection with your designer. Did they understand your vision? In the end, choose a designer who understands your vision and you feel confident can and will bring it to fruition. Once you meet and discuss the above you will receive a custom quote.
Whew! There you have it! My best tips for choosing your wedding flowers!
Here Are A Few of My Favorite Local Wedding Florist.
- House of Margot Blair – And, here is her stunning work at Tiana and Bob’s Villa Antonia Wedding.
- Blumen Floral – And, here is Abbie’s beautiful work at Torrie and Noah’s HighPointe Estate Wedding.
- Clementine Botanical Art – You can see her beautiful design work here at this Woodbine Mansion Editorial.
- Lovelily Flowers – Courtlynn’s work can be viewed here at this spring Villa Antonia editorial.
Finally, I had a great honor photographing The Inspired Design Retreat 2021, a three day design intensive for wedding florists, hosted at the beautiful HighPointe Estate Wedding Venue.
All the imagery shown throughout the post was captures at the event by me, Amy Odom Photography.
The Inspire Design Retreat Team:
Themes, design & planning: Jenny King Photography Insta: @jenny_king_photography Website: www.jennykingphotography.com
Day of Coordination: KM Weddings & Event Planning
Tablescape Decor: Whim Hospitality
Custom Rollers: Silver Orange Boutique
Floral Wholesale: Mayesh Floral Wholesale
Hoja Verde Flowers
Makeup Artist & Hair Stylist: Silk & Glow
Gowns & Suit Rental: All About the Dress
Peach Model: Lily Compton @compton___
Red & Yellow Models: Cory & Lorrie Schuler @lorriechulr & @coryschu
Black Tie Models: Dylan & Aubrey Williamson @mrs.aubreywilliamson & @dylwil46