What to wear for your maternity session. As a photographer I get asked this question all the time and it’s my job to help you show up photographic ready.
You probably hired me because you were drawn to my style and a big factor in achieving my look is what you wear.
I personally believe that this is the next most important thing next to hiring a great photographer.
So, here are my best tips for achieving amazing style for your session.
- Think about color. I highly recommend neutral tones and soft pastels. Examples are creams, grays, browns, soft blues, pinks, etc… These color tones compliment my shooting and editing style the best and will help you achieve what you see in my portfolio.
- Dresses. Dresses are the way to go for maternity shoots. Maxi’s and mid-length dresses work great. These types of dresses are flattering on most pregnant women and allow me to have you play with the dress to create movement and interest in your photos. If you have a tiny frame or are slender, body conscious and form fitting dresses work well and really show off the belly nicely.
- DO NOT wear clothing with very small print, small checks, tiny polka dots and stripes. These prints cause digital distortion in the camera called “moire” that cannot be fixed. This will ruin your pictures. This is especially important for dad’s shirt. They tend to wear these types of prints. If in doubt, I recommend a solid…always!
- Accessorize your outfit. Think about hats, headbands, flowers in the hair. These are also great because they allow you to change it up a bit and get multiple looks without too many wardrobe changes.
- Don’t forget about shoes. Your feet will show and a great outfit is complete with great shoes.
- Texture. Adding a bit of texture to you outfit helps to create interest. Think lace, ruffles, embroidery, smocking etc…
- Last but not least, comfort is key.
Some great places to find dresses:
Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have questions or need guidance. Many of my clients email pictures of possible clothing choices. And, I can help search for the perfect dress 🙂
I hope that was helpful!