What To Wear For Your Engagement Photos
As a photographer, I get asked this question all the time and it’s my job to help you show up photo ready!
Most likely, you hired me because you were drawn to my photographic style and a significant factor in achieving this look is what you wear.
Personally, I believe this is the most important thing after hiring a great photographer.
Here are my top tips for achieving amazing style for your engagement session.
- Coordinate but don’t match! Matchy-matchy outfits are outdated and boring! However, your looks should fit together. If she is wearing an elegant dress, he should be in a suit or jacket. Choose the same formality. Are you both dressy or causal?
- Choose the color palette. Personally, I love soft neutral color tones. Examples are cream, gray, brown, pale blue, light pink, etc… I recommend avoiding black! Black tends to lose detail when it’s photographed and make the image look heavy. Soft neutrals keep the image light and airy, and this is the key to my photography style.
- Dresses. Hands down, this is my favorite thing for her to wear. They are fun, flirty, and romantic. Dresses look great on everyone, and they allow me to create movement and interest in your photos. There is nothing better than a pretty dress blowing in the wind!
- Accessorize your outfit. Think about including hats, flowers in the hair, scarves. This allows for added interest in your photos.
- Shoes. Don’t forget about your shoes! Your feet will make way into your pictures, and every great outfit is complete with fabulous shoes. I recommend heels for women. They elongate the leg and accentuate good posture. You can always wear more comfortable shoes to walk around in and pop on the heels for the pictures.
- Texture and Layers. These two add so much depth and interest to your photos. Think lace, ruffles, embroidery, smocking, jackets, scarves, hats and so on!
- Get a manicure. Ladies, your hands will show. After all, we are going to photograph that stunning engagement ring you are wearing!
- The Ring. Clean Your Ring! I will photograph it!
- Hair and Makeup. Many of my ladies opt to get professional hair and makeup for their session. It’s a great way to help you look and feel your best!
- AVOID!!!! Do not wear clothing with very tiny print. Avoid at all cost wearing clothing with small checks, little polka dots, and stripes. These little prints cause digital distortion in the camera called “moire” that CANNOT be fixed! This will ruin your pictures. When in doubt, I always recommend wearing a solid fabric.
I’ve created a Pinterest Board to help you with planning and outfit inspiration. You can find that HERE.
Some fabulous places to find dresses:
Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have questions or need guidance. Many of my clients email me pictures of possible clothing options.
I hope this was helpful!