A guide for the Maid of Honor
Congratulations! You’ve been chosen to be the Maid of Honor at your best friend’s wedding! It’s quite an honor to be named the bride’s right-hand woman!
Now that you’ve accepted the position, you may be wondering what your new role entails.
Never fear! I’ve created the essential list of maid of honor duties to help you offer the best support in your new role!
What an honor! As the maid of honor, you’ll stand by the bride as she says yes to her dream dress and I do to her dream guy!
Here is a list of nine essential duties of the maid of honor.
- Listen and support her through all the planning process. Let her know you have her back no matter the task at hand.
- You get to be one of the chosen few to go dress shopping with her! When she finds her dream dress, stand up, and cheer!
- Sometimes, you might have to step in if a conflict arises between the bridesmaids. Step in and be the voice of reason and help to diffuse and resolve the issue quickly.
- You are the touchpoint for the rest of the bridesmaids. Make sure each of them knows what’s expected of them. These things include showing up for dress fittings, the bridal shower, the bachelorette party etc… Help on the wedding day to make each of them aware of what time they need to be ready.
- It’s your responsibility to plan the bridal shower. You don’t have to go this alone, utilize the bridesmaids, her family, and even the groom to help choose a date, and get together a guest list.
- You’ll likely be asked to help with tasks such as stuffing and addressing envelopes, making favors, and creating a seating chart.
- Planning the bachelorette party is one of the biggest jobs! Think about the bride and what type of party would best suit her. Is she a girl’s day trip to a vineyard and a nice dinner? Or, is living it up in Vegas more her style?
- The bouquet. That’s all you girl! The bride will hand you her bouquet when she reaches the altar. You will hold it throughout the ceremony and give it back to her just before she walks back down the aisle as the new MRS.
- The speech. It is customary for the maid of honor to give a speech during the reception. Start preparing for this sooner than later. The best speeches tell a little story about the bride. It’s okay to be witty but try not to embarrass her. Say a few sweet words about the bride and her new husband and wish them well in their future. Keep it short. The best speeches only last 1-2 minutes.
There you have it! Nine of the essential maid of honor duties! Now go out and rock it!
If you liked this, you might also like: